[TeXmacs] preliminary HiDPI (Retina) support for TeXmacs/Qt

  • From: Massimiliano Gubinelli <address@hidden>
  • To: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>, address@hidden
  • Cc: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • Subject: [TeXmacs] preliminary HiDPI (Retina) support for TeXmacs/Qt
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 23:05:05 +0100

Hi all,
I've committed a series of preparatory patches to support HiDPI displays
(Retina) on Qt/Mac.

For some reasons I didn't had time to prepare a well packaged commit to
fully support Retina to the svn trunk so I attach here a patch to be applied
to the current svn (r5963) to enable *unconditionally* **partial*** Retina
support.

Unconditional means that the double resolution is hardcoded and TeXmacs will
not try to check if the screen is really Retina or not. Of course I will work
later on this issue and prepare something better. But for the moment this
patch will allow those like me who have a Retina MacBookPro to work with
TeXmacs without headache.

At the moment this support cannot be fully completed since Qt (4.8.4) cannot
handle properly HiDPI bitmaps so the icons in the menus are bounded to be at
low resolution. However the editing area can be rendered at HiDPI.

I only have checked that it works with the latest Qt 4.8.4. I'm not sure
previous versions have any kind of HiDPI support.

By the way, TeXmacs typesetting on Retina looks gorgeous.

Best
Massimiliano

  • [TeXmacs] preliminary HiDPI (Retina) support for TeXmacs/Qt, Massimiliano Gubinelli, 12/12/2012