Re: [TeXmacs] folds

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] folds
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 20:40:38 +0100

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 05:48:26PM +0100, Michael Lachmann wrote:
> I just started using folds, trying to make my documents more managable.
> For now, I like "grouped", because it easily lets me see where a fold
> starts and ends. I guess regular folds with varsession do that, too.

All plug-in folds come with an input part and an output part, yes.

> How much do people use folds?

I don't know, but among the people that I know who do software demos
with TeXmacs, this is quite a popular thing.

> How do you combine folds with sections? If I want a section/chapter
> that I can fold away, is it OK to just put a section heading in the
> fold summary?

We do not really have adequate support for folded _sections_ yet.

> Finally, I noticed that with a document that includes group-folds
> nested to third level, where some of the folds are fairly big (but not
> too big, a couple of sessions that cover, maybe 5-6 screenfuls, no
> graphics), Certain parts of the document are very slow, where typing
> gives something like 1 char a second or even less.
> Does anyone know Why I get this slowness? How to avoid it? Is it the
> group-folds? Is it too many nested folds?

Folds are not optimized for speed, especially when using varsession,
which is based on tables. I definitely want to do something about
this one day, but probably not sometime soon.

Best wishes, --Joris