Re: [TeXmacs] Qt_version_of_TeXmacs-1.0.7.21_is_slow

  • From: François Poulain <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Cc: Youjun Hu <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Qt_version_of_TeXmacs-1.0.7.21_is_slow
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2014 09:12:18 +0200

Hi Youjun,

Le Thu, 3 Jul 2014 15:00:35 +0800,
Youjun Hu <address@hidden> a écrit :

> I have used the patch "revert_2655.diff" to TeXmacs-1.0.7.21 and
> compiled a version with qt disabled.
> The result indicates there is considerable performance improvement
> compared with the un-patched version.

Yes. However, we don't know for the moment if this patch is harmless.
We have to think about it before merging it on the svn trunk.

> But for the qt version, the slow response is still present even after
> using the patch.

For this particular case, it also improve the behavior of the Qt
version. But I agree, the Qt version is slow compared to the X11 one;
and this is visible when big documents are involved.

I spent time for profiling the two ones and trying to find anomalies,
but nothing very significant appeared. Maybe, the computation time
involved by the Qt version is less or more the same than in the X11
version, but some critical delays are introduced in the event loop. But
I don't know well this part of the code and currently I am not able to
test this hypothesis.

François

--
François Poulain <address@hidden>