Nested enumerations appearance

  • From: Pierre-Henri Jondot <address@hidden>
  • To: texmacs-users <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Nested enumerations appearance
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 08:36:21 +0100

Hi,

A couple of weeks ago I wanted to try editing in TeXmacs a math test for my
students, and I renounced it because of nested enumeration style and used
latex instead.

TeXmacs gave me this :
1.

a.

b.

when I would have liked this instead :
1.a)

1.b)

Of course there might be times when I would want to write :
1. In this question, f is supposed to be… and we’ll show that…

then the question would be subdivided into subquestions but, most of the
time, I just want the second presentation quoted before.

Of course I tried to find the answer in the documentation, and by
experimenting. I am slowly learning, but despite having spent quite some
time, I am not there yet.

From what I could understand, customizing enumerations appearance might be
done with redefining render-list macro. Being such a newbie, it took me some
time to understand how I would add this macro at the top of my document
(entering source mode et al), and I struggled a bit with the inactive tag
before finding the answer in the documentation, that is, I have to hit return
key, and this inside the command itself to get rid of the inactive tag… (I
know this might sound stupid to many of you, but I think it might be good to
document the difficulties I am encountering while slowly getting accustomed
to TeXmacs, hence the learning curve I wrote about…)

Introducing this as a preamble to my document :
<assign|render-list|<macro|body|<surround|||body>>>
I obviously managed to change enumeration appearance (and of course, it is
garbage with everything stuck to the left with no margin whatsoever), but I
am a bit surprised to see that there still is a vertical separation between
the top and the inside enumerate items, so it makes me think this might not
be the solution I am looking for…

So am I in the right direction ? (I suppose not…)

Regards,

Pierre-Henri