Re: transform display equation in several equations

  • From: Nicolas Chouvalidzé <address@hidden>
  • To: TeXmacs <address@hidden>
  • Cc: texmacs-users <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: transform display equation in several equations
  • Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 16:10:12 +0100

Thank you for your answer !
I have added the idea on the wish list.
Happy holidays to all of you,
Nicolas.

Le mer. 9 déc. 2020 à 16:04, TeXmacs <address@hidden> a écrit :
Dear Nicolas,

On Wed, Dec 09, 2020 at 01:43:29PM +0100, Nicolas Chouvalidzé wrote:
>    Dear Texmacs users, and contributors,
>    I was about to send an email to suggest the introduction of such a
>    feature. Thank you for introducing it so quickly, it truly is a
>    life-changer when you take your lessons directly on Texmacs !
>    I have a few suggestions to make it more fine-tuned :
>
>      * Quantificators like forall and belongto should not be placed in the
>        middle of "several equations" : only binary relations (equal,
>        inferior...), arrows and negations should (I refer to the categories
>        of symbols available from the menu bar). See this example :
>
>    [1]image.png

Yes, further finetuning could be necessary.
But maybe not exactly along the lines that you suggest.
Indeed, I think that the symbolic forall notation is slightly abusive
when the body is split accross several lines.  When breaking a sentence
of this type, it seems better to write "for all x in R" in plain english,
before the equation array.  But you may file an item on our wish list,
so we can keep thinking on it.  If you encounter other interesting examples,
then please add them to such a report as well.

>      * As Vincent Douce suggested, a shortcut to automatically insert a new
>        line with the same content as the previous one in "several equations"
>        would also be a life changer, especially in calculus and analysis. I
>        would personally suggest the Ctrl+Enter shortcut, but obviously it is
>        up to you !!

Ctrl+Enter is already used for several other purposes, but I noted the suggestion
to have some keyboard shortcut for this.  You might want to add it to our wish list
to keep a written record.

Best wishes, --Joris