Re: Potentially interesting typesetting question in the forum

  • From: TeXmacs <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Potentially interesting typesetting question in the forum
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2021 00:12:30 +0100

Dear all,

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 01:53:55PM +0100, Giovanni Piredda wrote:
> this question on mixing CJK characters and Latin characters seems
> interesting to me, I "advertise" it here, perhaps someone knows the
> answer (in case I think an answer here or there would be equally
> good)
>
> http://forum.texmacs.cn/t/the-correct-way-to-mix-the-chinese-characters-and-roman-alphabets/265/4

If I understand this issue well, then this user asks whether
it is possible to align CJK characters on a grid (or horizontal + vertical
mesh).
The quick answer is "not for the moment".

I must say that I wondered myself whether this would be an appropriate thing
to do.
After interrogating some people from Asia, it seemed to me that this is not
really
the standard. Just open some Chinese webpages, and you will see that the
characters
are rarely vertically aligned.

It might still be interesting to implement some kind of alignment of this
kind.
In that case, the width of occasional latin text and other markup should of
course
be rounded up to be a multiple of the character width. This may leave extra
spaces
of about one half the width of a character. I ignore whether this will be
considered
to be more beautiful than the current way TeXmacs does the typesetting.

Best wishes, --Joris