Re: TeXmacs: how to stretch the spaces

  • From: Peter Rapčan <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Cc: Basile Audoly <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: TeXmacs: how to stretch the spaces
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 17:09:12 +0200

Hi everybody,

Why is this not actually called “stretchable space” ? — which apparently exists but serves some other purpose.

Some time ago I was searching precisely for this functionality and I failed, since:
1. tab usually means a *fixed* number of spaces
2. when inserting a tabulator from Format -> Whites space->Tabulator, the context sensitive toolbar actually says that the tabulator just inserted is a 5mm one (hence what is indicated is in line with point 1. above and is completely contrary to being actually stretchable)
3. until one enters a character after the tabulator, nothing happens with the cursor (only after inserting a character the character (and cursor) are shifted). Hence prior to writing that character, the user is further convinced that no stretchable space (tab) has been inserted.

I found the above situation very non-intuitive :-(.
Moreover, to insert a stretchable space, I think most users would head to the Insert menu and not to the Format menu.

Just my 5 cents,
Peter