Re: TeXmacs: how to stretch the spaces

  • From: TeXmacs <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: TeXmacs: how to stretch the spaces
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 18:40:34 +0200

Hi Peter,

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 05:09:12PM +0200, Peter Rapčan wrote:
> Why is this not actually called “stretchable space” ? — which apparently
> exists but serves some other purpose.

Well, the concept of "stretchable space" already serves another purpose.

> Some time ago I was searching precisely for this functionality and I
> failed, since:
> 1. tab usually means a *fixed* number of spaces

I don't know what you mean by "usually". I think that the meaning of
the concept of "tab" is overloaded. Sometimes, it means a fixed extra
indentation. Sometimes it means alignment at a finite number of
fixed positions, and sometimes it means what we do.

> 2. when inserting a tabulator from Format -> Whites space->Tabulator, the
> context sensitive toolbar actually says that the tabulator just inserted is
> a 5mm one (hence what is indicated is in line with point 1. above and is
> completely contrary to being actually stretchable)

The 5mm is the minimal space of the tab.
For instance, you typically want a minimal amount of space before the \qed
sign.

> 3. until one enters a character after the tabulator, nothing happens with
> the cursor (only after inserting a character the character (and cursor) are
> shifted). Hence prior to writing that character, the user is further
> convinced that no stretchable space (tab) has been inserted.
> I found the above situation very non-intuitive :-(.

Yes, that is something somewhat counter-intuitive indeed,
especially when using it for the first time.
But maybe not that critical, since one usually will try typing
something afterwards anyway and thereby discover how it works.

> Moreover, to insert a stretchable space, I think most users would head to
> the Insert menu and not to the Format menu.

Not clear; this is a low level formatting issue.

Best wishes, --Joris