Re: Running headers and text in formulas

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Running headers and text in formulas
  • Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 12:15:56 +0100 (MET)

On Sat, 3 Nov 2001, Michael P Friedlander wrote:

> I'd like to use TeXMacs to write the exam for my class. Two questions:
>
> 1. How can I get running headers similar to those generated by the LaTeX
> package fancyhdr? I'd like to see something roughly like this at the top
> of each page:
>
> Left Just. Text Centered Text Page 1 of N

Please take a look at the top of the article style file
(C-x C-f a r t i c l e . t s RET) in order to see how to make
your own running headers. You may use TAB for flushing contents
left, right and to the center. Horizontal lines are best obtained
by creating a macro for this purpose using tables spanned over
the entire paragraph width. In the most recent version of TeXmacs,
you may use the "hrule" macro in browser style (see browser.ts for
the definition of this macro).

> 2. In each displayed equation (and on the same line), I'd like to have some
> text flush left and text flush right on either side of the equation. It
> would be ok to have the text in the margins, similar to LaTeX's \marginpar
> command. What's the best way to do this?

You would need to define your own "myequation" environment for this,
bacause the equations are currently centered using TAB's (I now realize that
I might have to change this). Again you should use TAB's in the
appropriate way in order to do the flushing.

Marginal notes have not yet been implemented, but they will be soon
(they are planned to be in TeXmacs-1.0 before the end of the year).

> TeXmacs looks great so far. I'm a heavy LaTeX and Emacs user, but this
> looks like just the thing to break that habit.

Thanks, Joris

Joris van der Hoeven (address@hidden)
http://www.texmacs.org: GNU TeXmacs scientific text editor
http://www.math.u-psud.fr/~vdhoeven: personal homepage