Re: Assorted bugs

  • From: David Allouche <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Assorted bugs
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 15:37:03 +0100

On Saturday 29 December 2001 06:42, Stephane Payrard wrote:
> I notices that inserting a footnote when in a enumeration or
> itemization creates a footnote that is indented like the said
> enumeration or itemization. Footnotes should not be indented.

Nice move.

You are right, but that can easily fixed by modifying the definition of
{footnote} in the style file.

Juste replace the footnote defintion in $TEXMACS_HOME/styles/float.ts

<assign|footnote|<macro|x|<assign|footnotenr|<plus|<apply|footnotenr>|1>><ass\
ign|thelabel|<apply|footnotenr>><float|footnote||<with|font
size|0.84|<surround|<apply|footnotenr>. <label|<merge|footnote-|<apply|footno\
tenr>>>||<arg|x>>>><space|0spc><rsup|<reference|<merge|footnote-|<apply|footn\
otenr>>>>>>

By a this new definition that resets the left margin.

<assign|footnote|<macro|x|<assign|footnotenr|<plus|<apply|footnotenr>|1>><ass\
ign|thelabel|<apply|footnotenr>><float|footnote||<with|font size|0.84|left
margin|0|<surround|<apply|footnotenr>. <label|<merge|footnote-|<apply|footnot\
enr>>>||<arg|x>>>><space|0spc><rsup|<reference|<merge|footnote-|<apply|footno\
tenr>>>>>>

But that is just a kludge. Many other things should be reset in the footnote
macro: interparagraph space, interline space, paragraph style (centered
footnotes are kind of funky), hyphenation mode, column number, etc... Some of
them would have to be reset to the document's default value...

Actually, I think footnotes should be typeset the document's initial
environment (that is set just after processing style files). I think the good
way to implement it would be to allow peeking values from the initial
environment. Then the stylesheet could decide just how much to restore.

By the way, multicolumn footnotes are even more funky than centered footnotes

For one thing, footnotes of multicolumn text appears in the columns, but it
should appear out the columns, at the bottom of the page. One common usage
pattern is to use multicolumn blocks _inside_ sections, section titles
spanning the whole page. The current scheme would lead to footnotes that are
actually in the middle of the page. Well maybe that's the way typographers do
it...

Type "Multicolumn text is great." Create a footnote, type "Yes it is." in the
footnote. Select your paragraph, select Paragraph->number of columns->3. The
footnote text appears in the columns. (If you are lazy, just open the
attached footnote_multicol document). You can even make the footnote flow
multiple columns.

Bonus: Open the attached footnote_multicol document, place the cursor just
after "expand footnote", press enter. Crash!

More Bonuses: Open the attached footnote_multicol, place the cursor just
before or just after the multicol <with>. Footer should display "before with
nr columns=3" or "with nr columnss=3", type X (or any other text). The
footnote will disappear

Attack stopped.

Counter-attack:

If a footnote definition is placed on the last line of a page in "page" paper
style, then the footnote text will appear on the next page. This behaviour
appears with any page-breaking algorithm, including "professional".
Professional page breaking (and maybe even "medium") should definitely know
better and should do its best to keep the footnote text on the same page as
the footnote reference.

Your turn.