Re: interline separation

  • From: David Allouche <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: interline separation
  • Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 12:49:19 +0200

On Friday 29 March 2002 08:32, Nirmal Govind wrote:
> Under the Documents->Paragraph->Spacing, what's the difference between
> interline separation and interline spacing? And what are the units of the
> value that we should be entering for these? Say, I want double spacing
> between the lines, then how do I do this?

After some source code reading and some experimentation I eventually got it
and put in on the Wiki:

http://alqua.com/tmresources/environment%20variables%20for%20paragraghs

'interline space'
- type: length
The minimum length between the ink of two successive lines of the same
paragragh.
This variable is set by menu items labeled 'interline separation'.

'line stretch'
- type: space
Stretchable space inserted between successive lines of the same paragraph
when filling a page. To produce the expected behaviour, the variable value
should be set to use 'fn*' length unit. It is the only space unit relative to
the font heigth and with a nominal value of 0.
This variable is set by menu items labeled 'interline space'.

The 'line stretch' (stretchable) and 'interline space' (rigid) variables are
complementary variables. They allow to independently set the rigid and
stretchable parts of the line spacing.

I also came up with a better understanding of length units. There not only
absolute and relative length units, but also *space units*, that contain
upper and lower bounds for stretching and are affected by the
page->breaking->flexibility.

I updated the two pages about length units:
http://alqua.com/tmresources/how%20to%20use%20length%20units
http://alqua.com/tmresources/length%20units
to talk of stretchable spaces.

Double spacing is obtained by setting the 'interline space' typesetter
variable to about 1fn. Sine the default value is 0.2fn, I would use 1.2fn.

WARNING: the 'interline space' variable is set by the 'interline separation'
menu item, while the 'interline space' menu item (deceptive name!) sets the
'line stretch' variable.
--

-- David --