Beginner's remarks

  • From: Jean-Baptiste <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Beginner's remarks
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 18:56:10 +0200

Hello dear list

I recently conviced my girlfriend (biologist)
that she could efficiently use texmacs.
I'm a beginner texmacs user, but she had only
used word previously. She could understand the
concepts behind texmacs, but as a word user,
here are the features she'd like to have.
As i find them interesting too, and dont know
if they would easily be integrated, or are just now,
i thought of sending them to the list :

Note: by style stack i mean the piling up of text characteristics,
such as em, paragraph center, (or justify,....) : that which
is displayed on the bottom right of the screen, after the
minibuffer.

1) the state of the style stack under your current
cursor is displayed on the bottom right.
Very good, but it would be nice if, with a right
click, you could have a submenu stating :
remove->stack style list from which you could
select a text attribute to remove.
I think that this would at least partially make up
for the lost word users, that select some text,
emphasize it, and then would like to see it normal
again. Fact is that i couldnt find any "style removal
option", and that I think this feature would be a perfect
replacement.

2) being able to split the style stack :
She sometimes wants to split a dotted list into two.
want would be nice would, again, be a popup menu, with

split stack at level->stack style list
from which you could select an attribute, and that would
insert at current cursor position, the desired closing </with>
(as many as necessary, depending on the depth at which
you asked for the split) and reopen them right afterwards,
leaving you a interspace where you could insert text without
the attributes of level superior to the one you decided to
split.

3) she's an experimental scientist and would like to see
"Hypothesys" "Experiment" "Results" "interpretation",
what they call it... But I think from a previous post on
the list, that this is something i can do myself...

I dont know if i made myself clear, or even made a fool
of myself,

Thank you for your great job,
JB