Re: newtheorem latex conversion

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: newtheorem latex conversion
  • Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 11:06:25 +0200 (MET DST)

> Here is latex export/import suggestion for the newtheorem macro.
>
> The following sequence in *.tm file
>
> <newtheorem|foo|Foo>
> <\foo>
> blah blah blah
> </foo>
>
> should be equivalent to
> \newtheorem{foo}{Foo}
> \begin{foo}
> blah blah blah
> \end{foo}
>
> instead of the current format
> {{\foo} blah blah blah }.
>
> Otherwise, each time I save as .tex and re-read it into TeXmacs, I get
> Foo
> <error| value body>

You are absolutely right, but this is a subtle problem for the converter,
because "newtheorem" is a "meta"-command for defining new markup.
Please put your suggestion on our wish-list

http://alqua.com/tmresources/wish%20list

so that we will remind about it.
I can not promise that we will fix the problem soon though,
or maybe only the exportation part.

In general, it is a good idea to do all editing inside TeXmacs and
avoid forward/backward conversions with LaTeX. Of course,
if you collaborate with others, then you sometimes cannot avoid this.
For this reason, we will develop tools which will make forward/backward
conversion better during the next year. However, a 100% stable scheme
will never be achieved, because LaTeX is a dirty language.

Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
http://www.texmacs.org: GNU TeXmacs scientific text editor
http://www.math.u-psud.fr/~vdhoeven: personal homepage