Re: page numbering needs

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: page numbering needs
  • Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 15:33:15 +0100 (MET)

TeXmacs-1.0.0.24 implements some of the requested features.

> 1. A way to mark a page (section) as the start of pre-page numbering.
> This page and all subsequent pages will be numbered i, ii, iii, etc.
> Any pages before this mark will not have any page numbers.
> 2. A way to mark a page (section) as the start of regular page
> numbering. As in (1), these pages will be numbered 1, 2, 3, etc.
> Regular page numbering will have precedence over pre-page numbering.

In "Insert -> Page numbering" you may re-assign the current page number
using "Renumber this page" and re-assign the function which produces
the corresponding text using "Page number text".

> 3. Table of Contents only shows pages with regular page numbering
> (pre-page numbering could be an option?)

You may customize the behavior of tables of contents using styles.
In principle, we omit the table of contents from the table of contents,
but not prefaces, indexes, glossaries, etc.

> 4. Defaults would be the current setup of every page having regular page
> numbering.

That remains the case.

> An example for how I would like to use this in a proposal style:
> A Proposal is like an Article, and can have a Title and a Summary
> (instead of an Abstract). If the Summary is added (it would just be a
> non-numbered section), it will start the pre-page numbering. Assuming
> the Title is placed before the summary, it will not have a page number.
> Any pages in between the summary and the first section will have
> pre-page numbering. This would typically consist of the Table of
> Contents and a List of Figures/Tables/Illustrations. Regular sections
> will be numbered as in an Article and the first section marks the start
> of regular page numbering.

With the primitives which are provided now, you may try to do so :^)

> I hope this helps in development efforts.
> Just curious, but how is the development of a gtk interface progressing?

The TeXmacs-GUI protocol should allow anyone to write such
an interface more easily. We have not decided yet which
toolkit to use for the porting to Windows. That will in fact
mostly depend on the preferences of the one who does the job :^)