Re: URL on printed documents / unwanted generated code

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: URL on printed documents / unwanted generated code
  • Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 15:44:35 +0100 (MET)

> First one is related to URL entered with <hyperlink||>. When I print the
> document, those links are lost (only the text remain). Is there a way to
> get them in parenthesis, footnotes or whatever ?

You may create a macro "hlink" with two arguments and
which is rendered in two different ways depending on a style file.

> Second is related to the way TeXmacs interfers with my own documents.
> When I add a Table Of Content, TeXmacs on its own, writes tons of hugly
> things like:
> 3.2<space|2spc>Images<value|toc-dots><pageref|toc-36>
> And those are writen in the document itself !
>
> This cause great trouble when one wants (as everybody should;) to use a
> versionning system to manage it's documents like CVS...
>
> Commits then contains a lot of useless garbish (10's of lines changes for
> a single change in the documents), pointless Versions Conflicts (I
> modified one line here, someone modified one line totally elswere, but the
> TOC is modified everywere by both), etc...
>
> Is there a way to have TeXmacs to behave nicely and use it's own temporary
> files for that kind of things like LaTex does (LaTeX would never have
> wrote anything in my .tex source on it's own !) ?

We might create an option to suppress auxiliary information when
saving files. Of course, this is not a natural behavior for
new users, so it is not a reasonable default.

On the long run, I would like to stress that CVS itself is not a good tool
for many reasons. Most importantly, it is text-based, while TeXmacs
documents have much more structure. What we really need is a structured
kind of CVS.