keyboard prob fixed...

  • From: Ken Feyl <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: keyboard prob fixed...
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 15:53:22 -0800 (PST)

Dear David, you are the man for giving me such a detailed reply. Your
suggestion regarding the font problem, however, did not fix my weird
behavior, even after I re-installed tetex and texmacs several times.
Ultimately, I discovered from the Console, the problem roots to TeXmacs'
failure to find the font cmsy10. Then, a friendly suggestion from a fellow
user suggested that my ~/.TeXmacs directory may be the source of the problem.
And whaddya know? Nothing, nothing at all in the ~/.TeXmacs/fonts directory.
Just an empty directory structure. Quite suspicious. So, again on my
comrade's suggestion, I renamed my whole .TeXmacs directory, to .foolish,
rebooted TeXmacs and presto! When I tested a subscripted infinity this time,
it unpacked some font package and gave me an infinity.

This was rather weird. But, in summary: if you get this problem, wipe out
your ~/.TeXmacs directory.

More news soon on the Alt-Meta situation. I will try your suggestions. BTW,
to explain it a little more clearly, I did have my own .xmodmap with the
aforementioned modifications, and they show when I launch OroborOSX, get an
xterm and run xev. However, when I underwent the below procedure, it would
forget my settings on every launch.

1) Boot TeXmacs
2) Hit $ to go into formula mode and then alt-f. Just the letter f.
3) Select Preferences-Keyboard-Alt-map to A modifier.
4) Hit alt-f. A fraction.
5) Quit TeXmacs and reboot.
6) Step 2 again. Still the letter f. Every time I run TeXmacs, I need to
repeat step 3.

But I will try some of your alternative suggestions now, and let you know how
it goes. But this is hopefully a more precise explanation of the observed
behavior.

Ken

--- address@hidden wrote:
>On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 10:44:33PM -0800, Ken Feyl wrote:
>
>> Dear List, I've used TeXmacs succesfully for a long time... until
>> today. Suddenly, I'm getting some weird behavior with the infinity
>> shortcut key and the minus ("-") sign. Whenever I'm in a superscript
>> in $ formula mode, I get a capital gamma whenever I type the minus
>> sign and the letters "ffi" whenever I type @ as the first in
>> infinity's @@ shortcut. This is driving me insane!
>
>Generally, these problems seem due to a broken font system (at least
>according to the answers Joris have be giving on the mailing lists for
>similar problems). I cannot say more, but your additional message
>seems to point in that direction too.
>
>I suggest you make a clean intallation of teTeX.
>
>> I had to remap a few keys with xev since my Powerbook has a reduced
>> keyboard. I mapped the apple key to meta and the option keys to alt
>> and the F7 key to F5 (so I can hit the integral shortcut). But no
>> matter how many times I tell the darn thing to use the Alt-key for
>> the A modifier, Meta for the M-modifier it never recognizes in a
>> given TeXmacs session until I explicitly choose those menu options!
>> Then it forgets everything the next time I run it, even though I
>> still get the little dot next to "Map to A Modifier." Still, I must
>> actually click on it first. Phooey! Any way I can set the defaults
>> once and for all?
>
>I understand your are frustrated, but it would be more helpful if you
>give a clearer description of your problem: a procedure to describe
>the problem with the output of xmodmap at the key points and how the
>observed behaviour is different from the expected behaviour.
>
>Actually, TeXmacs uses xmodmap to remap keys to modifiers. Internally
>it only maps ModN to a given symbolic modifier (A, M, H etc.). Also
>there is some confusion with the AltGr key because it should not
>switch key-plane when used as Alt modifier. TeXmacs does its best
>handling the mess of Xlib keyboards events, but that is not yet
>optimal.
>
>On my iBook, my ~/.xsession files does:
>
> xmodmap $HOME/meta.mod
> startkde || xterm
>
>And $HOME/meta.mod contains:
>
> keycode 64 = Alt_L
> keycode 115 = Meta_L
> clear mod2
> clear mod4
> add mod2 = Alt_L
> add mod4 = Meta_L
>
>In short, that maps the "alt" key to mod2 (which is standard for Alt)
>and the "apple" key to mod4 (which is standard for Meta).
>
>If I remember well, by default the Alt key is mapped to Mode_Switch
>(at least that is that way on XDarwin). So I also use another file
>$HOME/alt-gr.mod to get my alt-gr key back:
>
> remove mod3 = Mode_switch
> keysym KP_Enter = Mode_switch
> add mod3 = Mode_switch
>
>That remaps AltGr to the iBook keypad-enter key (which I do not use).
>
>Hope this helps.

> [...]

TheFreeSite.com: Home of the Web's best freebies.
http://www.thefreesite.com

Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get address@hidden w/No Ads,
6MB, POP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag

  • keyboard prob fixed..., Ken Feyl, 01/10/2003