Re: TeXmacs, PDF and bitmap fonts

  • From: address@hidden
  • To: Leo <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: TeXmacs, PDF and bitmap fonts
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 14:42:52 +0100

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 03:14:20PM -0500, Leo wrote:
> I am trying to generate a PDF file out of a TeXmacs document
> by the following chain:
>
> TeXmacs -> PostScript -> PDF
>
> I use ghostscript (ps2pdf) for the last conversion.
>
> The resulting PDF file looks really ugly on a screen!!
>
> Well, Adobe acrobat reader does a lousy job of rendering bitmap fonts
> and TeXmacs uses bitmap fonts exclusively. Even native PostScript
> fonts like Times and Helvetica are first converted into bitmaps and
> are later included as bitmap fonts (!) in the .ps output.

That is well known problem. Related discussion can be found on the
[1]Wiki and on the [2]mailing list archives. There is also an
(unusued) [3]task on Savannah for this feature.

[1] http://alqua.com/tmresources/wish%20-%20pdf%20generation
[2]
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=PDF&submit=Search%21&idxname=texmacs-dev&max=100&result=normal&sort=date%3Aearly
[3]
http://savannah.gnu.org/pm/task.php?group_project_id=381&group_id=156&func=browse

By the way, I copied the wishlist item to [4]Savannah.

[4] http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailbug&bug_id=2361&group_id=156

> [Q] Is is possible to preserve PostScript fonts as PostScript fonts in
> the .ps output??

Currently no. Working code contributions greatly appreciated!

--
David Allouche | GNU TeXmacs -- Writing is a pleasure
Free software engineer | http://www.texmacs.org