Re: Page margins - facing pages, inside / outside margins

  • From: address@hidden
  • To: "Karl M. Hegbloom" <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Page margins - facing pages, inside / outside margins
  • Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 11:50:42 +0100

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 02:48:08PM -0800, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
> For times when I plan to bind the printed document, in a report
> folder, and I want to use a three-hole punch to do this, I want the
> inside margin (where the holes are punched) to be slightly wider than
> the outside one. TeXmacs does not seem to have a way to specify this,
> as far as I can tell.

TeXmacs does have a way to specify that. But there is not yet an
adequate user interface.

The variables used to specify the page margins in TeXmacs are

odd page margin
even page margin: left margin on odd and even pages

paragraph width: with of printable area

page top margin
page bottom margin: top and bottom margin on all pages

In 'automatic' media type, the 'odd page' and 'even page' margins and
'paragraph width' are ignored, instead the 'left margin' and 'right
margins' variables are used. But anyway that has no influence on the
printed result.

For details you may look in document-menu.scm line 224 to 234 and in
general.scm lines 281 to 285.

Currently, the best way to achieve your desired result is probably to
create a scheme session inside the document you want to modify and use
commands like:

(init-env "odd page margin" "1in")
(init-env "even page margin" "1.5in")
(define (get-init-env var) (tree->object (get-init-tree var)))
(init-text-width (length- (get-init-env "page width") "2.5in"))

Hope this helps.

--
David Allouche | GNU TeXmacs -- Writing is a pleasure
Free software engineer | http://www.texmacs.org

  • Re: Page margins - facing pages, inside / outside margins, david, 02/24/2003