Mouse-related problems with 1.0.1.17

  • From: "Vladimir G. Ivanovic" <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Mouse-related problems with 1.0.1.17
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 14:17:54 -0700

I've just installed the TeXmacs-1.0.1.17-1 RPM package from
ftp.texmacs.org, and I'm having problems that seem to be caused by the
mouse cursor.

If I invoke texmacs, wait until its main window comes up, and then move
the mouse, TeXmacs simply exits. No error messages are written to the
console. This behavior only occurs if I'm running the program
`unclutter'[1] which hides the mouse cursor.

If I move the mouse so that the cursor is visible when TeXmacs comes up,
TeXmacs doesn't exit. If TeXmacs comes up and I start editing, but let
the cursor disappear, TeXmacs will exit when I move the mouse again.

I get the same startup behavior without unclutter but with a GNOME
Terminal or a Multi-GNOME Terminal because they hide the mouse
automatically when entering their window. TeXmacs will exit with or
without unclutter, but only when the TeXmacs window overlays the
terminal window.

I also have sporadic problems with where menus come up. Frequently they
are significantly to the left of where they should be which makes it hard
to select a menu item (you have to move the cursor left which causes the
menu to disappear). Sometimes I can "fix" things by pretending to select
a menu item where it ought to be. Then I can move my cursor over to
where the menu is actually being displayed. I haven't been able to
figure out a sequence of gestures that will reliably generate this
phenomenon.

I am running a fully updated Red Hat 8, Ximian Desktop 2 on a dual PIII
machine. I am not seeing mouse-related problems with any other
applications. I've been running versions of unclutter for years, again
without any known problems.

Has anyone else seen this behavior before? Should I file a bug? Are
there any workarounds (other than stopping unclutter and avoiding
running TeXemacs over a Terminal session)?

Thanks.

--- Vladimir

P.S. I'm happy to try to help debug this if I'm told what needs to be
done.

Vladimir G. Ivanovic http://leonora.org/~vladimir
2770 Cowper St. address@hidden
Palo Alto, CA 94306-2447 +1 650 678 8014

[1]
http://rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/cooker/contrib/i586/unclutter-0.8-3mdk.i586.html

  • Mouse-related problems with 1.0.1.17, Vladimir G. Ivanovic, 07/12/2003