Re: Why not make large brackets the default?

  • From: Alvaro Tejero Cantero <address@hidden>
  • To: Norbert Nemec <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Why not make large brackets the default?
  • Date: 06 Aug 2003 21:30:57 +0200

On mi? 2003-08-06 at 09:11, Norbert Nemec wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> is there a specific reason why large brackets (parenthesis, braces, etc.)
> in
> math mode need the Alt-key instead of just having them as the default? IMO,
> there is little, if any reason to ever use the non-resizing versions.

Once Joris told me that sometimes the size is not correctly guessed so
that manual fine-tuning is needed. The point is which usage is
statistically dominant, and that depends on the resizing algorithm. If
Joris is comfident that in say more than 60% of cases parentheses are
adequately resized, I would second that resizable-by-default proposal
(with the option to enter fixed-size delimiters, of course).

> Ciao,
> Nobbi

cheers, álv.
--