Re: [TeXmacs] texmacs kills X

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: <address@hidden>
  • Cc: <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] texmacs kills X
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 12:04:56 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 address@hidden wrote:
> I am new with texmacs. I use it on a Dell Inspiron 8600 with Cygwin.
> The problem I have is that texmacs occasionally kills the X server (I
> use the latest distribution of Cygwin). How should I track down this
> problem?

You may get debugging information on TeXmacs widget events using

texmacs --debug-events > toto

It may be worthwhile to look at the latest events before a crash.
Also, if you can find a systematic way to reproduce the crash,
then that may help to track down the problem.

It must be said though that certain X servers are bugged.
For instance, on my computer, TeXmacs sometimes has the strange
property that when pressing return for 0.1 sec, it keeps pressing
return for 3 secs. After a lot of debugging, I found out that
X was reporting erroneous events to me! So it may be that you
simply have a buggy X-server and that you never run into
the fatal bug with other programs...

Best wishes, Joris