Re: [TeXmacs] strange behaviour of macros

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: Immanuel Normann <address@hidden>
  • Cc: <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] strange behaviour of macros
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 19:14:05 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Immanuel Normann wrote:
> two strange behaviours of macros
>
> 1) they behave unexpected in itemize context!
>
> For instance take the macro
> <assign|red|<macro|text|<with|color|red|text>>>
>
> 1.1) If you are going to apply this macro with itemize as argument then
> at first a blank line appears before the first item bullet. This is not
> the case when you apply itemize without this macro arround it.

Well, as long as you can remove the inserted line...

> 1.2) Even more strange: If you are already inside an itemize block
> (without macro) then it is even impossible to insert a red sub itemize
> block.
>
> 2) they don't handle line breaks correctly!
>
> Take the macro
> <assign|bla|<macro|text|bla: <arg|text>>>
>
> 2.1) If you apply this macro to some text which contains a line break, e.g.
>
> my text
> with line break
>
> then TeXmacs renders
>
> bla: my text
> with line break
>
> instead of
>
> bla: my text
> with line break
>
> 2.2) Even worse: One should expect that TeXmacs always renders line
> breaks before text length exceeds page width. But this is not always the
> case when you have nested macros auch as "bla". Unfortunately I can't
> reproduce that reliably: sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't that
> TeXmacs renders out of page width.

It seems that you have not yet understood the way TeXmacs deals with
block content versus line content. You should read the documentation
about the "surround" primitive.

Best wishes, Joris

  • strange behaviour of macros, Immanuel Normann, 09/10/2004
    • Re: [TeXmacs] strange behaviour of macros, Joris van der Hoeven, 09/11/2004