Re: [TeXmacs] Navigating by words

  • From: Lionel Elie Mamane <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Cc: Nachiketa Sahoo <address@hidden>, Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>, Conal Elliott <address@hidden>, Bas Spitters <address@hidden>, address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Navigating by words
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 19:11:04 +0100

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 06:29:42PM +0100, Henri Lesourd wrote:

>> No, no, "home" and "end" should go to the beginning and the end of
>> the _document_.

> I strongly disagree, here : "home" and "end" should go to the
> beginning and the end of the _line_, and "ctrl-home" and "ctrl-end"
> should go to the beg/end of the _document_. This is the usual
> standard for editors.

Les goûts et les couleurs...

"Usual" is heavily context-dependent. In my experience, the "usual"
behaviour is what I described, not what you describe.

My choice and preference is mainly based on Emacs historic behaviour
"obviously", although I do vaguely remember using the Home/End keys in
the semantics I describe under Microsoft Windows back when I was using
it (in or before the year 2000).

FSF Emacs has moved to the semantics you describe; if I remember well,
the justification for this change was "make the life of MS Windows
refugees easier" or something like that. Another of those "let's
sacrifice our existing users to seduce new users" decisions...

--
Lionel