Re: [TeXmacs] TeXmacs and search for money

  • From: David Allouche <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] TeXmacs and search for money
  • Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 16:42:58 +0200

On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 11:12 +0200, Javier Arantegui wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It is well known (1) that one of the main problems of free software
> projects
> is the lack of money. And I don't think that TeXmacs is different. When
> David Allouche was hired, TeXmacs development was much faster then now.
> Many
> projects accept donations, but I think that it only works for very popular
> projects or if you are lucky enough to find a donor with a big pocket.

I'm honoured.

For those wondering what I have become in the last year, I am now an
employee of Canonical (yes, the guys that make Ubuntu) and I am working
on their version control infrastructure. It's a rewarding job, the
hackers in the company are very smart, and the boss is really a nice,
fun-loving fellow.

I think the main reason TeXmacs is not progressing as fast as it used to
is because it has become mature as CAS front-end and Joris is just
spending less time on it, he has always massively outcoded me. But
TeXmacs never quite paid for its development time in academic
evaluations.

Thanks to Joris, Marie-Françoise Roy and the local government or Rennes,
who made it possible for me to work on TeXmacs full-time for more than
one year.

--
-- ddaa