TeXmacs and search for money

  • From: Javier Arantegui <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: TeXmacs and search for money
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 11:12:19 +0200

Hello,

It is well known (1) that one of the main problems of free software projects
is the lack of money. And I don't think that TeXmacs is different. When
David Allouche was hired, TeXmacs development was much faster then now. Many
projects accept donations, but I think that it only works for very popular
projects or if you are lucky enough to find a donor with a big pocket.

Altough I have considered to donate a little amount of money to the TeXmacs
project, I haven't done because there is no information about how the money
is planned to be spent. It the past I wanted to spend some money in it
(remember the 'Slideshow design contest'?).

It's difficult to get people's money when they don't get anything (2). One
possibility it's to sell something with a logo or an slogan. But this is a
quite time consuming task, dealing with the orders, going to the post office,
etc. One solution could be Cafe Press <http://www.cafepress.com> (3). They
sell pretty cool things (4). I think that this could be a good way to get
some money for the project. They say in their webpage that you don't need to
do any investment to start selling things.

What do you thing about this? If they were available, would you buy some
TeXmacs merchandising?

Javier

(1) I mean 'I think' (in academic language ;-)
(2) OK. They'll get a better version of TeXmacs, but everybody will get it
too.
(3) Disclaimer. I have no relationship with Cafe Press in any sense. I
haven't
buy anything from them. Neither I have sell anything. I have just heard that
they work fine, they make the merchandising for Wikipedia.
(4) I'd like to have a T-shirt about TeXmacs. I could wear it during summer
and became a walking ad of TeXmacs :-)

--
Javier Arántegui
Dept. Tecnologia de Alimentos / Dept. of Food Technology

Tel. +34 973702595
Fax +34 973702596
http://www.tecal.udl.es