Re: [TeXmacs] Styles

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: <address@hidden>
  • Cc: <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Styles
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 11:57:39 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 address@hidden wrote:
> Now here's my confusion:
> 1. The Mathematics choices seem to refer to specific publication
> outlets. As such, I would expect there to be a host of such choices,
> from AACE International Transactions to Zygon. On the other hand, I
> would expect Mathematics to refer only to specific STYLES for formatting
> mathematics. In this case, I'd still expect to see more than 3 such
> styles, but corresponding to style guides (e.g., Turabian) rather than
> publication outlets. So what is this Mathematics submenu about?

This submenu should actually disappear. Our intention is to provide
more and more standard styles required by publishers. Recent versions
of TeXmacs implement some of the Springer and Elsevier styles,
but we definitely lack volunteers for this task.

> 2. The document types on the main Style menu makes sense, but I don't
> see how one chooses a style to apply to these types. For example, there
> are numerous styles for formatting an article. Some, such as Chicago A,
> are style-guide specific; others are publication-specific. So how does
> one specify what style to apply to a specific document type? (As my
> question's wording implies, I think the menus are misnamed. The choices
> are really choices of document TYPES, not STYLES. I don't see how to
> choose a style.)

We did not implement Chicago A. On the other hand some customization of
the style files is possible by selecting additional "packages".
In the future, we might also provide style options.
As a general rule, our vision of style files/packages/options
is close to the one in LaTeX.

> 3. Is there some repository of styles? In particular, I want to use
> Chicago Manual of Style, 15th ed, author-date for references and
> citations in conjunction with any of several possible journal or
> publisher styles. Chicago 15th ed. style for books would be fine for
> now. I'd be really surprised if a software supported by its user
> community, such as TeXmacs had no such thing. Each new user would be
> reinventing the wheel.

All existing styles are available directly from within TeXmacs.
Once again: we lack volunteers for developing more style files.

  • Re: [TeXmacs] Styles, Joris van der Hoeven, 04/26/2005