more on the slow-down of 1.0.5.4 compared to 1.0.5.3

  • From: "Kostas Oikonomou" <address@hidden>
  • To: texmacs-users <address@hidden>
  • Subject: more on the slow-down of 1.0.5.4 compared to 1.0.5.3
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 12:06:48 -0400

I reported previously that 1.0.5.4, at least on Solaris Sparc, frequently
stops responding to
keyboard input for a few seconds (5 or so) if you are working on a document
of reasonable
size, say 10 pages, and you type at normal speed. It does not lose what was
typed in, but
stops echoing to the screen, the CPU becomes busy, and the output appears
after the 5 or so
second delay.

I thought this may be a problem specific to Solaris, or to the way I built
from the source,
but I confirmed with a colleague that the problem also exists on Linux.
Here's his email:

I was able to reproduce the problem (pauses when inserting characters fairly
at the rate of a decent typist) with:
TeXmacs-1.0.5.4-1.fc4.x86_64.rpm
but not with:
TeXmacs-1.0.5.3-2.fc4.x86_64.rpm
both from:
http://fedoraproject.org/extras/4/x86_64/

This was on a 2.6GHz 64-bit AMD FX55 processor.

John

He also confirms that 1.0.5.3 on Linux does not behave this way. 1.0.5.3
doesn't pause
noticeably on Solaris either.

What makes this more striking is that my colleague's machine is about 5 times
faster than
mine, so it's doesn't seem to be simply a matter of processor speed.

If anyone else can see this, I would like to know.

Kostas