Re : [TeXmacs] stopping tmop

  • From: address@hidden
  • To: address@hidden (Pedro Sanchez), address@hidden
  • Subject: Re : [TeXmacs] stopping tmop
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 08:06:34 -0500

Hello,

I had (and still have, actually) the same problem with the same triangle ABC
! LOL.

What i do is to write $A B C$ (with a space between each letter) instead of
$ABC$, to get the italic letters, but this is not a "real" solution.

(-> the string $A B C$ becomes too long sometimes, it's not very nice)

Same thing with segments, straight lines : $[A B]$, or $(A B)$... It's not
very nice.

I understand why TeXmacs behaves like that : in mathematics, a string is not
the name of an object, but the name of a classic operator (like mat, det,
log, cos, etc.) and they must appear in upright mode... But what about a
triangle ABC ? Today, in mathematics, we don't use this notation ABC, we
prefer (A,B,C), wich is well typesetted by TeXmacs... I need the $ABC$
notation only for my young pupils (from 11 to 15 years old) and that's the
problem... Tradition...

Good luck
Richard

=============================
Richard Gomez Saez
http://ReedsOnline.free.fr
=============================

<<
is there a way to stop texmacs to treat multi-letter strings in math
mode as operators?

I'm writing a geometry book
Consider this situation

"Let $ABC$ a triangle, and suppose $A$ is right..."

(of course I'm using $ $ to represent in ascii the mathbox
Now, texmacs makes ABC to be upright whereas A shows up slanted. So I
get ahge problem of consistency, since everytime I refer to points or
single-letter geometric objects, I get slanted, and when representing
segments or polygons I get upright, and this is becoming a problem

When I started I tried not to pay much attention to it, but now it
just looks unprofessional and unconsistent, sicne everywhere I get a
mix of slanted and upright representing the same objects.

So, is there a way to make texmacs NOT to change math strings into
upright (other than known math functions)?