Fwd: [TeXmacs] Automatically copying selected text

  • From: Komla DOMELEVO <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Fwd: [TeXmacs] Automatically copying selected text
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 18:25:13 +0100

One question, how do you type \ in TeXmacs on the Mac? I cannot :-(

Javier

Dear Javier, Dear All,

here is a way of customizing new keys on the Mac. Basically, it suffices to change a line in the ".xmodmad" file defining the keyboard and update the changes. (I'm using a french keyboard on OSX Panther). The details go as follows :

0.- On my (french) keyboard, '\' is obtained by "shift-alt-/'. It works BOTH on Mac applications such as TERMINAL or TeXmacs under X11.

If you want to get a more convenient extra key fo

1.- First, you should specify that the usual keyboard shortcuts of the Mac do NOT override those of X11. For that go on X11/Preferences/Input and UNCHECK if necessary "Follow System Keyboard Layout" and "Unable key equivalent under X11".

It is not necessarily important regarding the 'backslash' issue, but it is regarding cutting and pasting. (For example it allows to use "cmd-w" for copying in the buffer a portion of text, instead of closing the window as would happen in usual OSX applications.)

2.- Try to find an ".xmodmap" file correponding to the language of your system that looks like the one attached (rename it '.xmodmap' as is traditional). Open it and look for the line you want to modify. For example I modified the line

"keycode 47 = ugrave percent Ugrave u2030"

into the line

"keycode 47 = backslash percent Ugrave u2030"

this will (after next step) define the former "ugrave" key (on the right of 'M' in my keyboard) to produce a "backslash" under X11 applications like TeXmacs (not under OSX applications)

3.- It suffices to activate the new ".xmodmap" file by runing the command :

"xmodmap .xmodmap" or "/usr/X11R6/bin/xmodmap .xmodmap"

in the directory where is your file ".xmodmap". I don't remember if the command is installed by default.

4.- Finally, for convenience, I personally keep ".xmodmap" in my main directory, and add the line "xmodmap .xmodmap" in my ".bashrc" file so as to update my personal settings when I open automatically the Terminal applications or an XTERM application.

Bests,

Komla

Komla DOMELEVO. Maître de Conférences.
Laboratoire MIP. Université Paul Sabatier.
118, route de Narbonne. 31064 Toulouse cedex 9
Tél : 05 61 55 76 33. Fax : 05 61 55 83 85