Re: [TeXmacs] Towards an association for free scientific software

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Towards an association for free scientific software
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 21:38:33 +0200

Hi Yann,

On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 04:30:41PM +0200, Yann Dirson wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 03:06:07PM +0200, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> > One of the first things that I want to do is to create an association
> > which should help us with the financial aspects of TeXmacs (donations,
> > selling manuals and CD's, etc.). Since other free software projects
> > might share similar needs, I decided to broaden the scope of such
> > an association to more general software for scientists.
>
> Wouldn't it be possible to benefit from already-existing associations,
> like Software in the Public Interest, which was created with similar
> goals: provide means to deal with money initially for the Debian
> project, but also for other FLOSS projects.

In principle, yes. In fact, our current donation system is managed by SPI.
However, some of our donations got lost and the donation system is
not handy for donators. Furthermore, I think that it is more appropriate
for us to have an association which is based in France, on behalf of which
it is easier to cooperate with research institutes like the CNRS, the INRIA,
etc.
Finally, I believe that it would be good to have a dedicated association
for scientific software.

Anyway, please put your thoughts on the Wiki.
It is probably best to further discuss the idea there.
I am not yet 100% sure about how things should be carried out.
So I am open for all sorts of ideas.

> I know it requires some work to setup an association, so it may not be
> necessary to create a new one in this case ?

It actually seems that it is quite easy to set up an association in France.