TeXmacs sponsoring

  • From: "Alvaro Tejero Cantero" <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: TeXmacs sponsoring
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 12:34:57 +0200

It would be good if we started moving some money in the direction of
TeXmacs. Apart from the Google Summer of Code, which we let run
without taking advantage, there are some companies out there willing
to sponsor free software development. One of the more credible is
GANDI. They establish some requisites (concreteness, openness,
alternative character) in order for a project to be funded. I am
positive TeXmacs fulfills all of them.

From http://www.gandi.net/supports/

Gandi supports alternative projects
Among the many factors of a project that determine whether or not we
get involved, three will be mentioned here:

Concrete. You already exist and your project is sustainable or will
truly have the potential to be so in the short term. More generally,
you have built a well-known, high-quality project, but need some
assistance.

Open. We want to support projects that affect as many people as
possible, or allow a community to expand their horizons.

Alternative. You are in opposition against a dominating "mass"
commercial supply, that floods the market and does not leave any room
for creation, and freedom of choice. You see, you might find this
funny but this type of situation really makes us mad…

----

Can you give your two cents on these three topic to justify why a
TeXmacs application should be funded? Equally important, where could
the money be spent?

Á.

  • TeXmacs sponsoring, Alvaro Tejero Cantero, 06/08/2006