Running yacas from texmacs - problem in finding the relevant version

  • From: Søren Højsgaard <address@hidden>
  • To: <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Running yacas from texmacs - problem in finding the relevant version
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 22:55:51 +0200

I've tried yacas from texmacs. When I choose Session -> Yacas I get the
informative Windows message that yacas has encountered an error. Double
clicking in texmacs gives a the following message in red:

Unhandled Exception: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file
'D:\\YacasFolder\\binaries\\--texmacs'.
File name: 'D:\\YacasFolder\\binaries\\--texmacs'
\ \ \ at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

There IS indeed a folder d:\YacasFolder\binaries on my laptop, but the
version of yacas which is invoked when i start yacas from a shell prompt is
in a different place. If I rename that folder, then yacas starts in texmacs
with the message

This is Yacas version `1.0.54' under TeXmacs
\;
Yacas is Free Software--Free as in Freedom--so you can redistribute Yacas or
\;

HOWEVER, the yacas version which I've installed is 1.0.61. So that makes me
wonder
1) Does texmacs come with a "local version" of yacas? (I guess not!)
2) How does texmacs get the idea of looking into the directory
d:\YacasFolder\binaries (which is not on the computers search path)

I located the file init-yacas.scm and modified it to give the absolute path
to my yacas program:

(plugin-configure yacas
(:require (url-exists-in-path? "yacas"))
(:launch "c:/local/yacas/winrel/yacas --texmacs")
(:session "Yacas"))

- and then it works. But there must be either a bug somewhere or I've messed
up something somewhere...

Can anyone help me to sort this out?
Thanks in advance
Søren