Re: [TeXmacs] Reporting bugs in TeXmacs [was: multiline input]

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Reporting bugs in TeXmacs [was: multiline input]
  • Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 11:33:28 +0200

On Sun, Aug 06, 2006 at 06:49:19AM +0200, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 12:22:53AM +0200, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 11:05:07PM +0200, Kasper Peeters wrote:
>
> >> I am trying to interface a new computer algebra system to TeXmacs. I
> >> would like to use the multiline input method, using TeXmacs' mechanism
> >> using DATA_COMMAND to determine whether the input line is finished.
>
> >> So I compiled multiline.cpp to see how this works. Although the
> >> session starts ok, TeXmacs segfaults as soon as I press return.
>
> > This is a bug; I corrected it in the CVS version.
>
> Thanks. I was just wondering, what is the best way to report bugs?
> Use the bug tracker linked from
> http://www.texmacs.org/tmweb/contact/bugs.en.html or post to this
> mailing list?

It depends whether the bug is severe. Basically, I try to
correct critical bugs (like the libc.so.6 bug) as soon as possible.
It is good practice to fill out a bug report *and* send a notice
to the mailing list in that case. For all other bugs, please use
the bug tracker. It is true that I only rarely look at them,
but once and a while a correct a bunch of them (typically before
new stable versions).

Posting non critical bugs to the mailing list typically will
not speed up their correction. I corrected the multi-line bug,
because Kasper just contributed a new plug-in and apparently
wants to use a bugged feature. If a given bug is a real blocking
factor for developments around TeXmacs, then you can also send
a mail to the mailing list. In that case, it is good for us to
be able to look at actual code, in order to better understand
what you want to do.

Best wishes, Joris