Re: [TeXmacs] Cygtexmacs download corrupt?

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Cygtexmacs download corrupt?
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 19:05:59 +0200

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 04:05:27PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> actually the ZIP file did work, thank you. The Cygwin version is _much_
> faster than the (old) native port.

Glad to hear that.

> BTW, I've been wondering if it would be hard to separate the Texmacs
> core functionality and editor core (i.e. rendering, exporting, font &
> image handling, tabbing through alternatives) from the rest of the user
> interface, so one could implement a nicer (and more intuitive) gui.

Yes, that is one of our top priority projects for next academic year.
In fact, this contains three parts:
1) A low-level part: redesign the part which depends on X and
the low-level graphics dependencies (OpenGL? Cairo?).
Make this more portable too.
2) A high-level part: design TeXmacs markup for all possible widgets,
and most importantly, buttons, menus and scrollable widgets.
3) The interface part: redesign the top-level interface.

> I love the way I can achieve everything fast and intuitively using the
> keyboard, but the rest of the interface is somehow outdated (I'm just
> thinking of having to type "y" to answer questions instead of having
> yes/no buttons). I'm pretty sure a decent user interface with "native"
> controls would create a major boost in Texmacs popularity.

Yes.

> I've been browsing through the sources a bit, but was a bit overwhelmed,
> so maybe there is someone with a more intimate knowledge.

Sure, if you are interested to help us, then things can be discussed
on the developers list address@hidden.

Best wishes, Joris