Some other quirks

  • From: address@hidden
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Some other quirks
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 23:36:42 +0200

Just some other things I stumbled upon:

- On my system, the CygTexmacs ignores the "Look and feel" setting, and always uses Emacs mode (it uses the German localized menus), even after a restart.

- While it is nice that Texmacs keeps track if a document has been modified after the last save, I think it is a bad idea not to save the document if the user wants it ("No changes need to be saved").
For example, the old method for editing composite documents had a bug, where the composite document was scattered with source code fragments if one of the included documents was set to "source view" (haven't checked
it on the current version, though). Thus: 1. open the included file, 2. switch off source view, 3. save the file. BUT that did not work, since TeXmacs still thought the document was unchanged, and ignored the save command.
So this feature opens up the possibility for very nasty bugs leading to data loss. The other point is, you never know WHY the user wants to save, so let him save. For example, he might have deleted the file and wants it to be recreated, or he wants a current date/time stamp on the file.

- The linux version scans quite aggressively for font files. In my case, it found Truetype versions of the "CM" fonts in a MATLAB for Windows directory mounted in the Linux system. It then preferred these files to the Type1 CM-fonts. Unfortunately, the TTF fonts used a different character encoding (they were created to be used my MATLAB only), which then lead to spurious character replacements (for example, the "rubber" left and right brackets were rendered incorrectly for just a specific size range, causing me headaches for several days).

- Another font related question: With the current version, my thesis converts to PDF beautifully, with the exception of a few composite characters, like ":=", which still seem to get included as raster fonts. Is there a way to work around that?

Best regards,
Jan