Re: [TeXmacs] Some other quirks

  • From: Kostas Oikonomou <address@hidden>
  • To: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Some other quirks
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 08:56:25 -0400

Joris van der Hoeven wrote:

- While it is nice that Texmacs keeps track if a document has been modified after the last save, I think it is a bad idea not to save the document if the user wants it ("No changes need to be saved").
For example, the old method for editing composite documents had a bug, where the composite document was scattered with source code fragments if one of the included documents was set to "source view" (haven't checked
it on the current version, though). Thus: 1. open the included file, 2. switch off source view, 3. save the file. BUT that did not work, since TeXmacs still thought the document was unchanged, and ignored the save command.
So this feature opens up the possibility for very nasty bugs leading to data loss. The other point is, you never know WHY the user wants to save, so let him save. For example, he might have deleted the file and wants it to be recreated, or he wants a current date/time stamp on the file.

Yes, you are probably right; I copied the behaviour from Emacs.

Just one comment here: Emacs has two distinct commands "C-x C-s" for "save" and
"C-x C-w" for "write". C-x C-w works correctly in TeXmacs, and saves (writes) the file
irrespective of whether TeXmacs think it needs to be saved or not.

I like the Emacs behavior, and I would not like TeXmacs to fall into the "Windows way of being",
where the operating system or application attempts to be smarter than the user.

Kostas