Re: [TeXmacs] PDF export and paper size

  • From: address@hidden
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] PDF export and paper size
  • Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 14:31:58 +0200

Quoting address@hidden:
just another small issue (Cygtexmacs): I have a document with A4 paper
size exported as document.ps, which shows and prints correctly using
ghostview.
But "ps2pdf document.ps" produces a document with pages of the nonsense
size 21,587x27,937cm and without the upper border. When I export the
document directly to PDF, I get exactly the same problem.

This is annoying indeed.

This can be corrected by hardcoding the "-sPAPERSIZE=a4" option into
the ps2pdf script, but that's obviously not a nice solution.

I guess that ghostscript somehow incorrectly guesses the paper size,
but I have no idea why. Ghostview detects it correctly. For Latex
generated PS files, ps2pdf also works flawlessly.

So maybe TeXmacs could manually add the PAPERSIZE option to the ps2pdf
command line?

Two things:

1. There are two programs which convert from postscript into pdf:
ps2pdf and pstopdf. I am not sure which one is the best (and available
on most platforms). Maybe someone on the list can make a detailed comparison.

2. The ps2pdf script is not part of TeXmacs. The best solution to the problem
would be to compare the postscript output of LaTeX with the TeXmacs output
on a simple "Hello world" text and investigate whether there are additional
hints that we might put in the Postscript file (this is easy to implement).
Maybe you can have a look.

Best wishes, Joris