Re: [TeXmacs] helping to speed it up

  • From: Kasper Peeters <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] helping to speed it up
  • Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 13:27:03 +0200

Hi,

> What do you call a "notebook" ? A CAS session inside a TeXmacs
> document ?

Yes, sorry (blame Wolfram ;-)).

> The first thing to do is to build test cases, to be sure that the
> slowdown really stems from TeXmacs.

Actually... just an hour ago I ran into a message on the texmacs-dev
list which mentioned the slow performance of the ATI fglrx drivers
when it comes to 2d graphics. And indeed, the machine on which I
noticed the slow behaviour of TeXmacs has an ATI chipset... A
different machine with similar CPU but nVidia graphics indeed performs
much, much better.

So perhaps I was too quick and the blame is all on ATI. I will try
this again tonight with the suggested fix (running Xgl to make
all 2d graphics use the 3d algorithms) and see if that makes the
problem go away. Will keep you posted.

Best,
Kasper