helping to speed it up

  • From: Kasper Peeters <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: helping to speed it up
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 23:54:57 +0200

Hi,

I am trying to figure whether there is anything obvious that I could
do in order to make interactive CAS sessions be snappier. The input &
output are great, but even though I just got a new core duo machine
and even though the underlying CAS spits out answers without noticable
delay, it takes around 1 second to evaluate each cell in my
"notebook". I noticed that re-evaluating cells in the middle of a
notebook is particularly time-consuming, but even if it is a cell at
the end it is quite a bit slower than I would like.

I realise that this sounds like a complaint, which it is not supposed
to be. But let me anyhow try to make this slightly more constructive:
in case there is no "obvious" way to speed things up (i.e. by
twiddling settings/preferences), is there perhaps a way in which
someone like me, with a decent programming background, can help to
improve the speed? Are there perhaps parts of TeXmacs which are
already known to be particularly affecting CAS sessions, so that I
could more easily focus on those? I am seriously willing to help at
the level of coding, but any pointers to specific parts of the
codebase that I should focus on would be welcome.

Best,
Kasper