Re: A simple question

  • From: Henri Lesourd <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: A simple question
  • Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 10:49:15 +0100

address@hidden wrote:

I´ve saved a fresh Axiom session as 'Axiom.tm' (and tried it also

with *.ts and *.tp).

Doing this is completely without any connection to solving your problem.

Then I tried 'tmwin Axiom.tm' on the commandline - no success.

What do you observe exactly ? TeXmacs starting with a blank page ?

Now I´ve given up, what a crazy program - what the heck is the
correct way to call WinTeXmacs WITH an existing file? :-(

This is the first time I hear such a thing. Under Unix, **for sure**,
if you do, e.g. :
<<
/home/smith>texmacs my-file.tm {Carriage return}
TeXmacs] With linked TrueType support

, TeXmacs pops up with the file my-file.tm inside
the current buffer.

It should be noted that currently, the WinTeXmacs version
of TeXmacs is not maintained (although I am very surprised
that such a basic feature as opening with a file on the command
line is missing ;-(... I never heard of that before).

If you switch to the Cygwin version of TeXmacs (CygTeXmacs),
you will enjoy an overall behaviour that is much closer to the
usual Unix behaviour (not only for the command line options,
but also for interacting with the plugins), although the software
is much heavier. In the future, we plan to perhaps maintain
again WinTeXmacs, because it is a valuable work (i.e., it
is clear that native Win32 is better (faster, the software is
much less heavy, etc.) than Unix TeXmacs with X-Windows
emulation over Win32), but we can't do it now, cleaning
the codebase is needed first, and it will take time (all the
more because we are late on other important tasks).

Thus currently, either one can find the way to start WinTeXmacs
with a preloaded file (this should not be rocket science, or
either, the feature is just not implemented), or you should
switch to CygTeXmacs.

It should be noted, too, that perhaps the f!@#$%g Windows
syntax conventions for writing the filenames & paths are
the cause of your problem. Are you sure you tried with
a **full** path, either with :
<<
C:\My-directory>tmwin C:\My-directory\Axiom.tm

or either a way similar to :
<<
C:\My-directory>tmwin /My-directory/Axiom.tm

Best, Henri