Observations about the learning of texmacs

  • From: Anderson Brasil <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Observations about the learning of texmacs
  • Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 18:34:49 -0200

I am having trouble trying to learn texmacs. I have printed on paper the user manual and looked for a few tutorials on the net, so I could learn at least the very basic facts. After having decided to fully imigrate to texmacs, and started to writing slightly more sofisticated documents, I got stuck. And the help menu didn't help me at all.
Let me show an example: at this very moment, I am trying to insert a picture in a document. So I loaded the picture on it by choosing INSERT/IMAGE/INSERT IMAGE on the menu (actually it didn't worked when my picture was at PGN format but it was easier to convert it to EPS than to find out what the problem is). But the picture was too big, so I need to reduce its side. But there is no way how to do it, at least not a way I could find. I tried typing F1 and search for "resize image" and found a page man-images.en.tm when I can read:
"(...) By default, images are displayed at their design size. The following operations are supported on images:
1) Clipping the images following a rectangle. The lower left corner of the default image is taken as the origin for specifying a rectangle for clipping.
2) Resizing an image. When specifying a new width, but no height at the
prompt (or vice versa), the image is resized so as to preserve the aspect
ration.
3) Magnifying the image. An alternative way to resize an image, by
multiplying the width and the height by a constant.
(...)"

It says that the feature do exists, but do not tell me how to do it, so it isn't useful at all. It is just a small example about the kind of dificulty I am having. The texmac developer(s) is making a really good job on this, but I still think that the interface need be more polished. With a little bit of patience, a not very dumb person can learn how to do anything using microsoft word (or openoffice), but it doens't happen here on texmacs. At least simple common tasks should have a graphic and obvious interface, like actions on graphics or turning on/off pagenumbering (another thing I can't do) and stuff like that. Another problematic thing about learning texmacs is the keyboard shortcut used. Windows users (who are 95% of computer users) and most linux users (like myself) are so used to type CTRL-Z when they need to undo things that they do automatically. At texmacs it is replaced by another keyboard shortcut. Actually, all the behaviour of the editor is very diferent from what most text editors do (i couldn't tell how many times I did erased almost the whole document because I've clicked with the mouse's cursor - trying to set the mouse's cursor in a certain position as I am used to - and then pressed backspace to erase a single caracter).
Two final observations:
1) I am senting those criticisms about the dificulty of learning texmacs expecting to contribute to make it better, by pointing out what I think is a major problem about this. I think that the program is great. The idea is exceptionally good, it just need some polishing.
2) In this list I see a lot of people who knows how to do almost "esoteric" things, so they somehow have learned it. So I am asking what is the best way to learn it. How to find the answers when you got stuck in the middle of a document? (most usually, when you need urgently to finish it).

Cordially, [and with excuses due to this cold murder of the english language]

Anderson Brasil