Re: Texmacs Poster

  • From: Benno Dielmann <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Texmacs Poster
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 22:39:14 +0100

Dear Mr. Wegewijs,

I appended a file poster.zip containing the poster.tm and all other necessary
files (such as linked images, style files).

The poster was created long, long ago with a TeXmacs version far, far
away ;-)... Because of that, there are some layout issues caused by style
implementation changes in recent TeXmacs versions... So it doesn't look
correctly with my TeXmacs 1.0.6, but it should be possible to understand the
idea. For reference, I appended the pdf generated by the old version.

I used the invisible-table-trick known to every web designer out there: I set
page margins to 0, created a table as big as the page filled with blue for
the background. This shouldn't be necessary any more, because there is now a
possibility to assign a color to the page background
(Document->Color->Background). So perhaps you can omit this table.The white
text areas are tables, too (nested tables). The three text columns actually
are table cells, so there isn't any text flowing between them if one column
gets too big. Table cells' hyphenation was set to "Top"
and "Multi-paragraph". Page size was set to "A0" under
Document->Page->Size->A Series.

This explanation surely wasn't exhaustive, there is too much I forgot over
the
time... I did some tuning with Shrinking factor and font settings...

It took me quite some time to get everything on the one poster page, but this
is the usual experience when creating a poster with any application :-).

The only drawback seems to be TeXmacs not being prepared to handle such
complex documents ;-). It gets awfully slow and I experienced frequent
crashes, mainly when fiddling with the included graphics. Unfortunately this
doesn't seem to be better in the actual stable version... (It takes three
seconds for a single typed letter to be displayed on my 1600 Mhz Pentium
M...)

I'd recommend writing the texts as normal TeXmacs documents, setting up the
poster layout and then copy-and-paste so only fine tuning is necessary
in "slow mode".

I hope this was helpful,

have a nice day,

Benno.

PS. I'll send this mail to the texmacs-users mailing list, because my
description might be useful for others, too.

Am Donnerstag, 15. März 2007 schrieben Sie:
| Dear Mr. Dielmann,
|
| I saw on the texmacs forums your nice poster you fabricated with Texmacs.
| Could you send me the sources? That would be very usefull!
|
| Greetings,
|
| Maarten Wegewijs

  • Re: Texmacs Poster, Benno Dielmann, 03/15/2007