Re: [TeXmacs] Maxima and Texmacs

  • From: "Zhi Huang" <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Maxima and Texmacs
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 17:39:54 -0600

I compiled TeXmacs-1.0.6.12 under Cygwin in Windows XP, and Maxima-5.14.0. Both TeXmacs and maxima can be run from the command line (I use mrxvt terminal inside Cygwin) without problem.

However, in TeXmacs, when I run insert->session->maxima, it starts the maxima box, but the bottom of the window states [dead].

btw: I did change the tm_maxima and maxima_detect accordingly, i.e., by simply adding the 5.14.0 option.   not working. This same thing happened also for Maxima-5.13.0.

also for your reference, in my cygwin environment, texmacs directories are:
/usr/local/libexec/TeXmacs/...;
/usr/local/share/TeXmacs.

Anyone can give some help? Thanks a lot~~~

Zhi

On Jan 10, 2008 10:41 PM, Andrey G. Grozin <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008, address@hidden wrote:
> I have compiled the 1.0.6.12 version of texmacs and that of maxima 5.14.0
> and also I have applied the path given by Grozin
> in order to be able to use Maxima 5.14.0 from Texmacs.
>
> But in the menu Insert->Session  I do not have the the Maxima option ?
What OS (and if Linux, which distro) do you use?

Does command-line maxima run OK? Is it in the $PATH?

What happens if you run the script maxima_detect (usually it lives in
/usr/libexec/TeXmacs/bin/)? On my computer, I get

grozin@gandalf /usr/libexec/TeXmacs/bin $ ./maxima_detect
("5.14.0 sbcl"
"5.14.0 cmucl"
"5.14.0 clisp")

You should have something similar. If you get

#f

instead, this means that the script cannot find maxima.

You can try to start TeXmacs (once) as

texmacs -S

Or, more radically, you can remove the whole ~/.TeXmacs/ directory and
then start TeXmacs.

Andrey