Re: [TeXmacs] Serious Document preparation?

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: Thomas Reinhardt <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Serious Document preparation?
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 23:11:16 +0100

On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 09:14:15PM -0500, Thomas Reinhardt wrote:
> I've been using TeXMacs 1.0.6.10 for sometime and it has some really
> nice features. I like the interaction model, in particular.
>
> Before I invest a lot of effort into creating lots of content, such as
> actually writing a textbook or some such thing, I'm curious: Is TeXMacs
> up to the task?

Sure. In case of trouble, we can assist. typically you might need
help for the final touch. In the worst case, you can always export
to LaTeX.

> Under ordinary circumstances, I'd plunge ahead and export raw LaTeX
> files in the event that I needed to use Kile or some such thing to
> actually format a product. I see, however, that TeXMacs does strange
> things on Export --redundant newcommands, etc. So, I'm thinking that a
> lot of effort would be required to massage that export into something
> that would work in standard LaTex package. In addition, I'm having some
> difficulties negotiating image import. It appears that TeXMacs prefers
> "eps" files, but I don't know this for sure.

Yes, ps/eps files are best for the import, since TeXmacs natively
creates postscript documents as output. For other image formats,
we use standard conversion tools in order to convert to postscript.
Of course the presence of "standard tools" may depend on your architecture,
which means that it is sometimes better to convert to postscript yourself
using your favourite tool on your system.

> I've looked around the web but haven't seen any in-depth tutorials or
> other supporting documentation.

We have a few quick start guides and, of course,
the documentation in the help menu, which is rather complete
for the purpose of writing articles or books.

Best wishes, Joris