Re: [TeXmacs] including the output of external commands in texmacs

  • From: Alfe <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] including the output of external commands in texmacs
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 13:05:31 +0100

Hi, Kamaraju ...

>>> Is there any easy way to include the output of external commands from
>>> shell into texmacs?
>> Such a command should not be added by default, because it would imply a
>> serious security hole.
> FWIW, vim (the other popular editor :-)) has been having this feature for
> ages. Never heard that such a functionality would be a security hole.

Whether it is a security hole depends on the way it is implemented.

If you can write TeXmacs documents which automatically execute shell commands
upon being updated, loaded, printed, exported or the like, this would be a
security hole.

If you merely let the editing users execute commands they have to type by
themselves and then insert the output of those commands, then I don't see a
security hole either.

The first implementation would be very handy in some cases, though. (Simple
example: insert the always current date in Unix-fashion.)

Alfe

Alexander Fetke
Software Engineer

Testing Technologies IST GmbH
Michaelkirchstraße 17/18
10179 Berlin, Germany

Phone +49 30 726 19 19 24 Email address@hidden
Fax +49 30 726 19 19 20 Internet www.testingtech.com
Geschäftsführung: Theofanis Vassiliou-Gioles, Stephan Pietsch
Handelsregister HRB 77805, Amtsgericht Charlottenburg
Ust ID Nr.: DE 813 143 070