Re: [TeXmacs] including the output of external commands in texmacs

  • From: Robert Lamar <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] including the output of external commands in texmacs
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 19:29:18 +0000

Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
Joris van der Hoeven wrote:

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 08:42:52PM -0400, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
Is there any easy way to include the output of external commands from
shell into texmacs? For example, in vim, if one wants to include the
output of date into a document, all that is needed is

:r !date

and the vim window will execute the date command on a shell and include
its output into the current document.

Such a command should not be added by default,
because it would imply a serious security hole.
On the other hand, I agree that we might provide at least
a switch for it (i.e. promote 'shell' as a scripting language).

FWIW, vim (the other popular editor :-)) has been having this feature for
ages. Never heard that such a functionality would be a security hole.

Actually, as far as I can tell, it was even in vi before it was in vim. An old and well-established feature, indeed.

For those of you who aren't so familiar with vim, the emacs analogues are (I believe) `M_1 M-!' and `M-1 M-|'.