Re: [TeXmacs] about texmacs (fwd)

  • From: Peter Rapčan <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] about texmacs (fwd)
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 23:10:43 +0100

Hi,

The easiest way is really to use fink / fink commander. Using fink commander is as double-click-based as it gets ;). One just searches for texmacs in the search window of fink commander, then right-clicks the found texmacs package and choses Binary-> Install or Source- >install. The binary version is the fastest choice (obviously no compiling is needed). However, installation via source gives you a newer version (compilation is automatic, so just relax while the package compiles). If there are problems (or if one needs the most recent version of texmacs), one can choose the unstable tree (Fink commander menu -> preferences -> fink tab -> check use unstable packages) and then do Source -> install as described above.

There have been some Leopard related problems with fink but I guess those have been already worked out (I am not 100% sure on the solution). The problems have been with a new fink install on Leopard, upgrading from Tiger worked fine).

I also remember someone on this list to be talking about (himself) porting texmacs to MacOS X (writing a native aqua gui). Does anyone know if this is being done / what is the status? In general, OS X support of Texmacs could be a bit better - some things do not work perfectly (as an example, Mathematica sessions don't work - last time I tried to look at why, I found out there was no math command at any place in the PATH (each application is usually in its own folder (that is recognized as a single .app package) in Mac OS X). Creating a soft link in the PATH to the actual math binary did not help either and I never found enough time to dig much deeper...).

Cheers,

Peter.