Re: [TeXmacs] about texmacs (fwd)

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] about texmacs (fwd)
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 21:24:39 +0100

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 11:10:43PM +0100, Peter Rap??an wrote:
> The easiest way is really to use fink / fink commander. Using fink
> commander is as double-click-based as it gets ;). One just searches
> for texmacs in the search window of fink commander, then right-clicks
> the found texmacs package and choses Binary-> Install or Source-
> >install. The binary version is the fastest choice (obviously no
> compiling is needed). However, installation via source gives you a
> newer version (compilation is automatic, so just relax while the
> package compiles). If there are problems (or if one needs the most
> recent version of texmacs), one can choose the unstable tree (Fink
> commander menu -> preferences -> fink tab -> check use unstable
> packages) and then do Source -> install as described above.
>
> There have been some Leopard related problems with fink but I guess
> those have been already worked out (I am not 100% sure on the
> solution). The problems have been with a new fink install on Leopard,
> upgrading from Tiger worked fine).

Just to complement: I also used to install TeXmacs using Fink,
but experienced many problems on my new laptop with Leopard.
I finally ended up installing darwinports, which is quite similar
spirit to Fink, and TeXmacs installed out of the box (port install texmacs).

> I also remember someone on this list to be talking about (himself)
> porting texmacs to MacOS X (writing a native aqua gui). Does anyone
> know if this is being done / what is the status? In general, OS X
> support of Texmacs could be a bit better - some things do not work
> perfectly (as an example, Mathematica sessions don't work - last time
> I tried to look at why, I found out there was no math command at any
> place in the PATH (each application is usually in its own folder (that
> is recognized as a single .app package) in Mac OS X). Creating a soft
> link in the PATH to the actual math binary did not help either and I
> never found enough time to dig much deeper...).

We are definitely working on a more native version for Mac,
as well as an application bundle. However, we are very busy with
many other things, and the main responsable (Massimiliano Gubinelli)
is expecting a second baby very soon, so...

Best wishes, Joris