Re: [TeXmacs] A (large) TeXmacs demo and how to use CAS in winTeXmacs

  • From: Henri Lesourd <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Cc: chu-ching huang <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] A (large) TeXmacs demo and how to use CAS in winTeXmacs
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 13:22:50 +0200

address@hidden wrote:

Sorry for this old post, but i tried to open your document with the
1.0.6.14-1 version (debian testing) and the windows crashes.

Can you still open your document with the latest version ?

If not, how could we be sure that our old document will be avalaible in
ten years ?

When you open a document, TeXmacs looks at the
version number, and translates the old format
accordingly to update it to the current version.

Thus in case of problems, updating this import
code of TeXmacs is the solution.

A more complete answer to your question is:

1. In case import doesn't work well, updating
the import code would solve the problem. Thus
it is only a matter of looking at the features
in the old versions and then submitting a patch
for translating the old features ;

2. In any case, TeXmacs files are markup stored in
pure text files, and this markup is usually highly
readeable (this is not at all the case in markup
formats like, e.g. ooxml). Thus in the future,
it will always remain possible to open a TeXmacs
document in emacs and to hack out the offending
part of the markup (of course this approach is
not perfect, but at least, it shows that in this
respect, users are in control) ;