Re: [TeXmacs] eepc

  • From: "Alvaro Tejero Cantero" <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] eepc
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 13:23:57 +0200
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version :content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition :references:x-google-sender-auth; b=mSgkFYNlfc5XwlN5B3e71vORd72kC2ZnevzU2G45GaLxMrmqLBOGLYNz8suzHDKHNk Q3aUIch8Ug0kTuXzgGOuPeKQUeoMVREMs2ifHQ1T4S1sXBsYMNrej4ddQJ0iOoukcwuE evHPK4ZWULxNwwomBnUvwlljlpf8WTXSxm4lw=

can you share your experience with TeXmacs performance on a net PC* ?

What worries me is that, according to these benchmarks

-
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/03/08/intel-atom-initial-benchmarking-data-vs-pentium-and-celeron-m-processors-before-official-release/

- http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=3321&p=8

the atom 1.6GhZ processor is still significantly slower than a Pentium
M Dothan at 1.73 Ghz. This was the first laptop processor with which I
felt at ease editing TeXmacs documents.

My usual test for TeXmacs speed is to open a long document (e.g. a
full manual) and start typing at the end of a long paragraph. If the
responsiveness is not good, then the computer is not apt for (my)
TeXmacs use. What other benchmarks can you think of?

Since the only performance intensive app I ever run on a laptop is
TeXmacs, I wonder when will we have the first net PC that passes "the
TeXmacs test".

I would really appreciate any input on this issue of performance,
since I am about to buy a new laptop.

Cheers,

Álvaro

* Asus EEe PC with Celeron, or (more interesting for me) Acer Aspire
ONE with Atom 1.6GhZ, or MSI Wind or HP mininote (Via c7).

? I need to write long documents. My usual performance